DSM: Life is not a paycheck

Ian McKay (tidalpool@ns.sympatico.ca)
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 06:34:40 -0300

John,

   I am sorry you find reading and writing boring. It seems odd that you do so much
of it here.

  As for myself, I love both activities and taught myself far beyond what was
forced on me in schools. You may find that children do the same thing when they see
just how much benefit and pleasure others derive from these activities.

  As for do something "useful" to make them employable. Well, I have had my share
of boring jobs and am glad I smartened up early enought to realize that there are
some jobs that are not boring...those that actually interest me. Why waste your
life earning a buck in a job you hate simply because you have "learned" to supress
your own natural interests and passions for a paycheck [or a pretty report card].
You are operating from the false and damaging premise that "adult" life has to be
boring and chore-like and the only way to prepare for such a life is schooling that
mimics this pattern and crushes your will in preparation for it. This belief
structure benefits the employers of large masses of people in menial jobs and few
others.

No one ever taught me about computers or many of the other skills I currently use
everyday in my career...a career which make s me very happy. If you refelct on your
own life you may find the same thing. How many skills do you use each day that were
never formally presented to you in a classroom? What activities do you do that
bring you joy? Could these be turned into a money-earner for you?

Respectfully,

Ian McKay
Teacher, Multimedia Producer and Father

"I would rather learn from one small bird to sing, then teach 10,000 stars how not
to dance." -e.e. cunmmings

  There is really no question. A child will learn what interests them and be happy.
Reading and writing would almost certainly be part of this.