Re: DSM: about Sudbury model

Joseph Roach (josroach@yahoo.com)
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 05:02:58 -0800 (PST)

Hi Bill!

Your post is very apropos to concerns I have about the
role of staff.

Staff is responsible for the "big picture" and all
that includes. The "big picture" includes all the
kinds of stuff you include in item #2, but staff
members also have to be mindful of each student's
history and needs, as well as the way that students
interact. We encourage students to be mindful of
these issues as well, but we have to give students the
room and time to develop their own interests and
passions.

For staff members, the interests of the students (aka
"the school") are primary, and their own pursuits are
secondary. For students, the situation is reversed.

Thanks for the question, Bill, it bears more thinking
through.

Best regards,

Joe Roach
The New School