Re: DSM: why democracy

Ben Robins (ben_robins@hotmail.com)
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 06:16:09

The word republic doesn't come up much in conversation up here in Canada, so
I had to look it up. From www.dictionary.com here are 2 of their 5 main
meanings for republic:

"A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who
are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them."

Candy and Alan'd be calling that a form of democracy. I'm guessing that
John means this definition:

"An autonomous or partially autonomous political and territorial unit
belonging to a sovereign federation."

John, are you wanting us to see the possibility of a Sudbury school made up
of a federation of partially autonomous republics? If so...

Let's break Sudbury Valley School up into partially autonomous republics.
There's the Republic of Kitchen, the Republic of Art Room etc etc. Each
Republic has its own laws - you can cook in the Republic of Kitchen, but not
in the Republic of Art Room. Since they're only partially autonomous, they
are governed to some extent by the school meeting (or its equivalent) which
perhaps enforces safety rules.

Because of mobility within the school, people are members of more than one
Republic. Perhaps Republics have attendance rules - you can only take part
in rulemaking if you are regularly in the Republic, and maybe you can only
enter the Republic if you know the most important rules.

I hadn't thought of this when I started writing this yarn, but how similar
is the Republic of Kitchen to SVS's Kitchen Corporation? From my limited
knowledge, it would be the same, except that the Kitchen Corp is more
closely watched over by School Meeting (?).

Another possiblity for the republican model for SVS:

Say they want to expand, and they get an offer they can't resist on a
fabulous campus down the block from Sudbury Valley. A couple of years later
they find that most students tend to stay on one campus or the other, but
still want the option of going to the other campus. Long story short, they
form the Sudbury School of Campus Republics.

Ben "when you start posting, you just can't stop" Robins