Re: DSM: about Sudbury model

Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:30:41 -0500

> My point is that I am still troubled by the concept of letting individuals
> who have little or no knowledge of the realities of life should somehow be
> part of the decision making model. Certainly they may express their
> opinion but to allow them a vote is a bit much for me.

What is the criteria for letting someone have a vote in your opinion? If
it is knowledge, how can you measure it? Who will be the one to measure
it? Who will measure the knowledge of the measurer? We will reach a loop
here. Knowledge is always subjective and there just are no good means of
measuring it. And even if there were, we couldn't tell what was
important knowledge and what was not, what was truthful knowledge and
what based on false assumtions. Do you see my point.

Young people have less experience than older people, but that doesn't
mean that they are less intelligent. Their reasoning is just as good or
probably even better than the reasoning of older people. They just have
to reason with less "raw material". And because there's no way of
knowing what kind of "raw material" any of us has, then it's totally
impossible to say that someone cannot come up with better reasoning than
us.

Of course you can think that you are a knowledgeable person and thus you
have the right to decide for others, but philosophically you cannot make
that assumption, that is totally your subjective view.

What comes to taxation as a means of having a vote, then that's even
less reasonable. If the goal is to get good decisions made, then
taxation has nothing to do with that. If the goal is to have rich people
make all the decisions, then the taxation could be a good alternative,
but I truely don't think that that would be any of our goal.

Our culture isn't perfect, it isn't rational. It's a product of cultural
evolution, not rationality. The economy based on money and competition
isn't made to serve humanity and all people, it's made to serve the rich
and to give more economic prosperity to everyone with the cost of
freedom and human rights. Thus if we want to have a school, where
freedom and human rights are valued, we cannot take our culture as a
model. But because we cannot escape our culture either, we must create a
model that best serves the freedom and human rights aspect in the
settings of our culture.

Marko