DSM: RE: TCS

Alan or Laura Gabelsberg (argable@swbell.net)
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 21:42:43 -0600

So far this is the first I've heard of any details regarding TCS philosophy
and schools. Guess I should reconsider having a link to their website on my
homepage! I mistakenly thought that it was mainly a philosophy of
non-coercive parenting.

Laura

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
[mailto:owner-discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org]On Behalf Of The
Booroobin Sudbury School
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2001 6:23 PM
To: discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
Subject: Re: DSM: about Sudbury model

Hi Marko and others,
I have been interested in the discussions, which I think others probably do
better when it comes to the fine points. Time limits my ability to become
fully engaged. I just thought I would comment that in the process of
establishing our School we had a broader vision of what we were creating,
and what it could become (and still do). I had a lot of experience as an
elected Director or Executive Committee member of a range of not for profit
organisations serving communities of interest. The town of Maleny where we
chose to live, and out of which the Learning Centre (our original term, but
later changed to School, when Students democratically decided the name over
3 SM's) has a reputation of being the co-operative capital in Australia. It
had more registered Co-Operatives per head of population than anywhere else
in Oz. I don't know whether you know much about Co-Ops, but they're
supposed to mean what they are called. Experience has shown that they
usually don't, because there is more idealism than enterprise, with most of
the work left to very few. I worked with others in the town to establish a
few Co-Ops, including a licensed Club, a community arts organisation, etc.
I became enamoured with the concept of consensus. While working as Staff
(they called my role management) of the local Credit Union I recommended and
supported the introduction of consensus decision making into the revised
Rules of the Credit Union. By the time we working on the Rules of the not
for profit Co-Op we were establishing to operate the School, consensus was
the agreed decision making method. Within 2 years of the Co-Op being
established and registered, I moved that the Co-Op be converted to a not for
profit Company (which the relevant Co-Op legislation provided for), and for
democratic (majority) decision making to be implemented. All of this
happened and was agreed unanimously. The reason for the change was that
decisions were not being made. Especially business decisions, requiring
timely, effective decisions, like purchasing property - the School campus.
There was too much pain for those very individual, independently minded
Members (maybe, but unlikely to be only an Australian trait) to accept that
they were the only ones not in agreement with the great majority on
particular Motions. I have researched and know the many processes and
stages involved in arriving at consensus, which includes, by the way, being
prepared to step aside to allow a decision to be made. We lost people, good
people, in that process, because it hurt them too much (not because the
working group wanted that to happen). Then and since, most decisions have
been effectively consensual. But there are times, when individuals are not
prepared to compromise - especially when it comes to values, philosophy and
money. And consensus relies on compromise. My experience also tells me
very clearly, that in the same way, the democracy of a School Meeting and
the JC empowers people of all ages to speak and be heard, knowing that there
is the structure of the democratic School mechanisms to support them. I
also know as a father that children are intelligent and have the ability to
work out and decide more things than I could ever attempt to do for them in
a variety of ways that I could never attempt to replicate. I believe that
other processes disempowers people, especially those who are quiet,
unassertive. Mediation is not always empowering. It can disempower people,
because it relies on someone else, not the people themselves, to assist to
resolve an issue. When do the people involved learn? The SVM does provide
for a whole range of processes that support active communication and
solutions. Our JC has required mediation in the past.
Regards, Derek
The Booroobin Sudbury School
http://booroobinschool.squirrel.com.au
Ph/fax +61 07 5499 9944