Re: DSM: about Sudbury model

Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:09:01 -0500

Mike Sadofsky wrote:
> But I am concerned about the level of
> discussion of this topic in this forum, because from what I have read,
> his premise appears to have no context here.

I'm not sure if I understand you right here. Are you saying that what
I'm suggesting has nothing to do with Sudbury Model and thus shouldn't
be discuessed here? If so, I'm very puzzled that what people here (IYO)
_should_ be discussing... And I still argue that what I've proposed all
can be implemented in a Sudbury Model School without braking the
underlying philosophy, unless people see democratic decision making and
the JC as essential parts of a Sudbury Model School. But in that case I
really have to re-evaluate my thinking about Sudbury Model.

> Should anyone reading this post and participating in a discussion of
> the sudbury model feel that these phrases (I don't know where they may
> be cultural 'norms') represent the mores at sudbury schools, let me
> explicitly say that this is not the case. In my 33 years of exposure
> to the model, I can unequivocally state that I find not one of these
> as having any validity within the sudbury model.

Yes I agree. The phrases don't have anything to do with the Sudbury
Model, but they have a lot to do with people working as staff members
and with students there. Sudbury Model schools aren't isolated from the
bigger society and the norms of the bigger society find their ways to
the Sudbury Model schools. And if the staff doesn't fight the norms they
find irrational, then one aspect of freedom is missing (IMO). And with
this I don't mean that the staff members of current Sudbury Model
Schools don't fight the norms, of course they do, but I just want to
emphasize this aspect because I think it needs to be emphasized.

Marko