RE: DSM: about Sudbury model

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:29:32 -0500

John, I'd like to reply to you at the risk that you have, on the basis of
your silence to my last message to you, filtered out my posts...

I get the distinct impression that you have a different definition of the
word "norm" than many of the folks participating in this conversation do.

For instance, a norm is that someone can mention the Ten Commandments in a
message to a listserve without having a pipe bomb heaved through their
window. I daresay that this is a norm of which you would approve.

Given this, I'm still incredibly curious as to what you have read that gives
you the impression that freedoms which have limits can no longer be
considered freedom? In other words, in your world how can someone who
chafes violently at the very idea of the Old Testament, in your words, "be
themselves when constrained by [the] cultural norm" of not committing
violence?

And I continue to be entertained by your statements about democracy.
"[democracy] is... a dictatorship of the majority..."? You have to be
kidding. As opposed to a dictatorship of the minority, dare I say?

V/R,

Joe