Re: DSM: about Sudbury model

Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@mediaone.net)
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:58:50 -0500

I've stayed away from this discussion because I couldn't see it going
anywhere. Marko seems to be suggesting that he wants to determine
what norms of the culture are rational and which are not, and then
establish a school -somewhere- where people (students, perhaps staff)
have the freedom to disregard the norms of the culture that they or he
consider not rational.

Perhaps he'll succeed at this. But I am concerned about the level of
discussion of this topic in this forum, because from what I have read,
his premise appears to have no context here.

He wrote:

>Some norms that I consider totally irrational are e.g. following:
>- "to achieve better results and to be more efficient, people should
>compete"
>- "boys shouldn't cry"
>- "girls should look pretty"
>- "nobody should be fat"
>- "it is a sign of weakness to show emotions"
>- "people of same sex shouldn't get too close to each other"
>- "sex is dangerous"
>- "emotions aren't rational"
>- "unanimous decision making isn't possible" =)
>- "guilty people should be punished"
>- "everything will go fine if the economy is fine"
>- "I'm not responsible of what my brother does"
>and so on...

Should anyone reading this post and participating in a discussion of
the sudbury model feel that these phrases (I don't know where they may
be cultural 'norms') represent the mores at sudbury schools, let me
explicitly say that this is not the case. In my 33 years of exposure
to the model, I can unequivocally state that I find not one of these
as having any validity within the sudbury model.

Mike