Re: DSM: RE: JC and SM

John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:47:26 -0800

Marko,

I find the assertion that rules created by my peers are "better" than rules
created by a dictator to be unfounded. It is simply placing a different value
on who makes the rules. The SV child that is somehow convinced that the rules
of her peers are just has just been conned, probably by peer pressure, which is
why my kids never went to "public" school.

I feel the main point in interpersonal relationships and freedom within a group
is helping each individual internalize external values that they, without
intimidation, understand the value in.

It makes no difference to me if a superintendent of schools or the
"democratically" elected student body council makes a rule that throwing food
in the classroom is unacceptable. The key here is why is the person where they
are at? What do they want to achieve ? and can it be achieved in the
environment they have chosen to be in?

I find that superintendents make far fewer rules than parents or peer groups
do.

In working with "my peers" parents with kids in schools, I find them to be
totally incompetent in understanding the issues at hand and I find the
Superintendent of the District to fully understand the issues at hand. He knows
how to work the system and allow real freedom while the parents want the school
run "their way". (Happens to be a group of Christians.)

I find it difficult to understand why some individuals do not think a
professional educator is not as gifted as a professional doctor or lawyer. I
fail to understand why every parent thinks they know how to educate a child but
feel incompetent when it comes to pulling a tooth or getting their kids out of
jail.

The nice thing about education is that if there are no goals every person
succeeds.

John Axtell