Re: DSM: Exposure to information

MYoung3648@aol.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 11:52:13 EST

Marko,

I don't believe in forced exposure (that is exactly what our current school
system in this country is set up to do and I think forced exposure kills
initiative quicker than anything). By exposure, I mean availability in the
sense that when you walk into a library or turn on a computer to browse the
net, the information is there if you need it or want it. I also am a firm
believer in exposing my kids to as many things and people as I can and in a
nonjudgemental way, allowing them to form their own interests and opinions.
We go to museums, concerts, coffee houses, aquariums, etc and of course
libraries. And when they show an interest in learning more about something, I
support them and answer their questions about how they can do that or I look
to expose them to someone who can. I can say that I have learned more in the
last few years from my children's interests than I have from my own because
their pure enthusiasm draws you in. My 8 year old has a special interest in
US history and had me reading him as his bedtime story for an entire two
weeks a book about the First Ladies. I would never have gone out and picked
the book to read myself but it was very interesting reading it to him. I
guess our kids can expose us to things too.

                                    Mary