Re: DSM: dancing

Anne and Theo Julienne (ajulienne@bigpond.com)
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:25:31 +1100

Alan,
We can never eradicate injustice or adversity. Our children need the
resilience to work their ways through what life will bring them. But in
this, I am sympathetic with Sudbury because it fosters what you call that
sense of "self" (what my son calls his "compass"). Coercion over-rides that
sense and that compass and leads to loss of soul. But, oddly, there are
always a few who can lead their fellows into wider freedom. And, if not, can
lead their fellow prisoners to mock and laugh at their oppressors. There are
some kids in mainstream schools that excel at this sort of thing.
As you say, human beings are equipped with a capacity to respond to events
in a great variety of ways, some of them quite unexpected.
Anne