RE: DSM: dancing

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:08:20 -0800

Susan -

As a parent, I used to deal with worry about letting down my kids by not
trying to make them learn important stuff. My oldest two are 9 and 7, and
it's getting pretty ludicrous to worry anymore - they learns stuff that
blows my mind without any arm twisting. Ex: the oldest learned to knit.
We're not talking scarf, we're talking blankets with candle-tree patterns
and cabling and all those other beautiful things I know nothing about. At
school, everybody admires it - and takes it for granted that a little boy
might want to knit. This is nothing that would have occurred to me - yet his
powers of concentration and absorption of technical details (he reads those
pattern books and then knocks them off) are adult level in this case. My 7
year old does math problems in her head, just to do them. Doesn't read
fluently yet, but can tell what 17 times 20 equals by just thinking about
it. And she's usually so happy that it's a total joy to be around her.

So, except for increasingly rare and brief moments, I don't worry anymore.
But you have to see it to believe it. Hang in there!

Cautionary note: kids who start SM school after having spent time in
traditional schools need some time to adjust - they get bored and such. The
amount of time varies greatly by kid. Kids whose first school is SM tend to
catch on pretty fast (seems almost instant, from this parent's point of
view).

Joseph Moore (Diablo Valley School parent)