Re: DSM: Re: Subtle Coercion?

Sam Senteney (sambo@calweb.com)
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:52:26 -0800

>Why do you see it as competition? Are you in danger of not having enough
>money to run the school? (I am seriously curious) Although that must be
>an extremely tough position, I can't accept the view that democratic
>schools are in competition with each other. Sure, it makes logical
>"business" sense with regard to increasing enrollment and obtaining enough
>money. But should we think of this wonderful thing we are giving kids as a
>"business"? (I do not in ANY form mean to imply that money issues are not
>important, they of course are very important). If we can drop that and
>instead think that we have a common hope and cause (giving as many children
>as possible a better education) than much more can be done. If we view it
>as a competition, I believe it is a guarantee that less will be
>accomplished and at a slower rate.

I think it is extremely important that the school thinks of itself as a
business at all times. The sooner the Assembly and SM realize this and
acts accordingly, the more secure and successful the school becomes (in my
experience). I don't think it serves the school, or for that matter the
parents who come up with the operating capital, well to "drop that and
instead think that we have a common hope and cause...". I believe that to
maintain a common hope and cause, we must as a school make sound business
decisions. While it is true that we are in competition with each other, we
are in cooperation to a much larger degree. Cooperation can be a powerful
business strategy. The wisdom is in knowing which is more important in a
particular situation. However, you must remember - your school is a business.

Sam