RE: DSM: An alternative teacher at a traditional school

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:35:15 -0500

Anna, as Mr. Axtell says, there are a couple of schools of thought about the
efficacy of teachers attempting to institute bits and pieces of the Sudbury
Model within a conventional classroom. I should also tell you that
educators who have worked in both environments will almost universally say
that it is essentially impossible to reap the benefits of the Sudbury Model
in a conventional school environment.

Having said that, I do agree with Mr. Axtell's sentiments that yours is
certainly a culture living in a time, economy and political climate where it
would be difficult to start a Sudbury Model school.

But in your opinion, would it be impossible?

-Joe Jackson
Fairhaven School
Upper Marlboro, MD