DSM: Re: Close Friendships

CindyK (cindyk@unitz.on.ca)
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:47:39 -0500

> My life experience contains many close friendships. However, traditional
> school environments are not conducive to friendship, in my opinion.
First,
> there is little opportunity to talk, which is the basis for friendship.
> Second, the people one spends the bulk of one's time with are the same
> people one is forced to compete with. My closest friendships were mostly
> made outside of school, and definitely made outside of school hours. With
> schools insisting on ever more homework, kids today have even less time
for
> friends than I had.
>
> Sudbury model schools, of course, provide the opposite environment. Yet
> another reason I love the model!
> Kristin

Good point! All my more personal relationships have been outside of school
also. Hopefully my kids will be able to form closer friendships in school
as well. Maybe someday we will all be more open with one another due to a
change in school experience. It's hard to even fathom the difference a
Sudbury education can make en mass. It's hard to see just how engrained the
values of traditional schools are in the population.- ie. just how much of
the way our society operates is a result of our schooling techniques?
Thanks for pointing that out.

~CindyK