DSM: RE: Encouragement

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 10:16:26 -0500

Cindy,

What you ask is a complex question.

There is lots of warm encouragement, support and all other kinds of feedback
going on between students and students as well as staff and students at all
times. What I see in our school is that when a student, for instance,
brings a project to a staff member of another student the student is met
with heartfelt feedback and encouragement.

By bringing the said project to that person and asking what they think, the
student is making the first move, and clearly that would fall into the
function of a staff member as a resource.

Other situations are not so clear cut, but a good rule of thumb for staff
is, are you communicating with a student the way you would an adult casual
acquaintance? In other words, I probably wouldn't walk up to an adult I've
known for a few months and say, "Hey, I noticed you are learning Spanish,
and I just wanted to encourage you to continue that, because it's a
wonderful language and I think you find it so useful and it will blah blah
blah."

Can there be too much encouragement? Definitely. Where I don't want kids
to stay or get too far into is where they are constantly seeking adult
reinforcement for everything they do, and I think that's one of the
functions of the model, so as far as I'm concerned it is part of the model.
Some kids seem to need lots of adult encouragement, and what I try to do
with them is patiently and lovingly answer them, but do it with brevity, and
don't try to initiate encouragement. In this case the voice of an adult is
a voice of tyranny that tends to drown out their internal voice. The type
of student that fits this is generally newer ones.

I think what you are saying about how you deal with your kids is generally
how students get treated by staff at the school, but with the specific
caveat that the encouragements not preempt whatever the kid is doing. For
example, I would not walk up to a student playing video games and suggest
that they continue that knitting passion they have developed over the last
couple of months.

By the way, I encourage you to continue in your efforts regarding starting a
school. I agree that it's very difficult, and it's much easier to move
close to one (and it will strengthen the school you move to). But is it
"better"? Not necessarily. It's true that not many people make it.
However, I think regardless of what happens, your efforts will lead you to
doing better by your kids (as obnoxious as that sounds!).

-Joe Jackson
Fairhaven School
Upper Marlboro, MD