RE: DSM: Education/Science

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:38:23 -0500

I disagree.

I think there are principles of relativism and principles of absolutism.
Some people are more relativist, they possibly view folks that are
relatively absolute as being inflexible. Some people are more absolutist,
and it is possible that they may see folks that are more reletive by
comparison as wishy-washy or standing for nothing.

Everyone is a combination of those two traits, and the degree to which they
see others having these traits is entirely in comparison to the degree they
experience the traits.

Using words like "inflexible" or "rigid" are just derogatory ways of saying
they "have integrity" or "principles". Using words like "wishy-washy" is a
derogatory way of saying relativists "see the whole picture" or are "more
flexible".

Needless to say, painting folks more relativist as "flexible" and painting
folks that are more absolutist as "rigid" is a double standard, and in my
view not conductive to equitable exchange.

In fact, there is a growing trend in Internetland of the practice of
moderated listserves prohibiting metaconversations (conversations about
conversations) and attribution (addressing what someone else has said,
rather than freshly advancing an idea without reference to a previous
point). If those rules were in place here, many of the messages of the last
24 hours would have bee rejected.

I see that trend as being restrictive and somewhat extreme; I like having
freedom of speech in this list. But along with that feedom is that if we
want to post metaconversation we should be responsible about it, and
consider avoiding this "being right" thread, the invocation of which seeming
to comically suggest that we aren't all trying to "be right" every time we
click the "send" button.

I hope we can all agree that on our collective journey, our world needs both
principles of relativism, which allow for creative growth and the beauty of
learning, as well as principles of absolutism, which provide rock-solid
integrity and the non-capitulating protection of rights like liberty and
freedom for all.

-JJ