RE: DSM: Education/Science

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:21:53 -0500

Bill & Stephanie,

I'm a little confused by this idea that the participants on this listserve
OR the students in a SM school shouldn't or don't discuss, debate, persuade,
attack, defend, agree with or disagree with ideas.

Whether or not this takes place is entirely exclusive of whether people are
free, and IMO those who are offended by differences in opinion simply are
coming from a place where conflict and confrontation were avoided.

I guess I'm saying that I'm bewildered that there is a perception that
disagreement and subsequent discussion is outside of the model, that the
freedom to debate on this listserve is less sacred than the freedom to
concur, and especially by the idea that "freedom" is analogous or comparable
to "debate" (e.g. the statement "I know that [freedom] is a much much bigger
thing than being right.").

I suggest that those of us are offended by discussion *per se* will most
likely find it on the _DISCUSS_ Sudbury Model listserve.

-Joe Jackson