Re: DSM: Simple solution

Wed, 13 Dec 2000 01:09:42 -0800

A so very emotional response.

School reform is about an honest looking at evidence and playing your best
hand toward the next step. This should not be a game of egos as if someone
personally could be hurt by considering advancing a well intended idea. An
idea supported by the last thirty years of research and in line with the
current Sudbury model is not intended as an attack on anyone or any
institution's wellbeing. What is beautiful about this process is to take
what is working and go with it. The opposite of school reform is to name
what we have as the institiution that should be, regardless.

Emotional argument is such a waste of energy. If someone has such animate
energy for an idea, why not research it and deliver an intregueing supported
essay? We are all lowered by making this a personal vendetta.

I continue here to ask for responses from Sudbury students and staff, people
who are willing to give first hand accounts supporting or denying some
assumptions I make about the Sudbury milieu. And I wish to know if you are
willing to try my few suggestions. Please note, these suggestions are indeed
within the framework of SVS, unless there is some law passed against adults
offering their wisdom (the cook certainly offered of herself). Surely adults
are permitted to speak with students and in a manner that is not
condescending.

robert