Re: DSM: Cult-school comparison

Adapadoop@aol.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:16:44 EST

Suffice it to say that:

1) with many (around 20, last I counted) 'schools' of counseling out there
based on as many schools of psychology, promoting 'counseling' in general as
a model for *anything* is hopelessly vague. On the specifics, most schools of
psychology (from a way high-level dabbler POV here) have specific problems
when related to the Sudbury model - specifically, coercion and denigrating
the person's experience in favor of the counselor's expectations, among other
things. From a critical-thinking POV, it is good to remember that one man's
subjective enlightenment is another man's objective hogwash.
2) Astrology? I feel, as I often do when reading your posts, that you are
using common words in ways that defy understanding. True, sometimes really
new thoughts will require a new vocabulary, but, out of kindness, could we
try here to put things in words used in as close to their commonly understood
meanings as possible, or, failing that, to at least point out that we're not
using them that way? That would aid my understanding and ease my frustrations
with these posts.

Finally, I agree with the sentiments expressed by others on this list - once
you have a specific measurable outcome in mind for the students, one that
you'd take concrete steps to ensure, you're no longer talking about the
Sudbury model. This is not to say you can't have a different model if you
want, but just recognize that it is different.

Joseph Moore