Re: DSM: Education/Science

Avenfeliz1@aol.com
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:45:20 EST

In a message dated 12/10/00 8:00:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
martin@martinobrien.com writes:

> (I realize I've set up a distinction between acknowledging and
> overemphasizing without really delineating it. But I still believe the
> distinction is there, and valid. If anyone wishes to help locate this fine
> line, I'd love to hear from them.)

I'll take a stab at it.
I'm going to bring this back to the model. Can a Sudbury school survive on
the Tohono O'hdam reservation in Sells, AZ? Can it survive in East L.A.? If
so, how?
If not, why not? Let's look at those differences instead of being afraid of
them.
Fear is what put up the barriers, not the differences themselves.
In the end, when I look at regional/ethnic differences, I find that most
human beings need and want the same things. Maslow's Hierarchy at work here.
It's merely how we, as people from different "places" meet those needs.
Kathleen