Re: DSM: Education/Science

John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:29:01 -0800

Kathleen,

I enjoyed your comments about the points of views that minorities might have.

I am a white male of British, Scottish decent. I was raised for a time in West
Virginia and had a black maid. I was in high school when "integration" was
forced upon us.

I never did understand the ruckus over integration and in our community there
was none. Our family treated our black maid as they would a white maid. We
simply did not understand that there was supposed to be a difference.

I think that the lack of Suds schools where you mentioned is that the leaders of
the minorities have not seen a value in having a Suds school, and there may not
be any value in them for minorities. Value is in the eye of the beholder, it is
not a "fact" if such an illusion may exist for some people.

As I contemplate the comments of the values that are "claimed" to be of value in
a Suds environment I am struck on how much the values are nothing more than
opinions. While some think cooperation is a value I think constructive conflict
is much more of a value to be sought after. In fact cooperation in many areas is
a most destructive influence.

Well - in any case I really liked your viewpoint and really appreciate your
sharing it with us. It gives me even more to think about. Should a Suds school
even consider letting in minorities ? If so why and for what purpose ? To get
them to change or to get us to change or to get no one to change but can two
people come in contact and not change each other. Certainly integration is
dangerous to the purity of a culture or a family. So the question might be - how
to associate but not contaminate? You raise very interesting questions.

John Axtell