Re: DSM: Education/Science

Rayner Garner (intuit@ncal.verio.com)
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 15:47:25 -0800

Doesn't that depend on the culture that we were reared in?
I shared a very small indoor air raid shelter in my formative
years. I am very content with quite a large number of people
sleeping very cramped together. My wife who was raised in a
large capacious house and own bedroom is always complaining
that "I need my space!" when visitors come and stay for protracted
periods. I on the other hand love visitors staying.

Pacific Island, Asian and Arabic cultures to name just a few are
also tolerant of intimacy and closeness. In so many instances I
find "scientific research" is very culterally specific without
cross cultural studies mentioned, that show how a particular behavior
may be not so in other cultures.
Rayner