DSM: RE: Boredom

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:05:53 -0500

Susan,

I would be going out on a really long limb to tell you that Sudbury Model
schools lead to children that are less bored and restless than
conventionally schooled children.

Our two kids have been in a Sudbury environment for 3-4 years now, and
frankly they get along really well 95% of the time, but that just may be
because they just get along really well.

I guess I'm reticent to point to specific outcomes of our schools. However,
there's a really good article on our website called "What Difference Does A
Sudbury Education Make" that does a good job of walking the tightrope. I
think it was written by Fairhaven School cofounder and Staff Member Romey
Pittman. You can read it at:

http://www.fairhavenschool.com/articlesmain4.htm

I think you are wise in your belief that the changes in your kids' behavior
might be related to their schooling - that is certainly a lynchpin to my
commitment to Sudbury Schooling.

Good Luck.

-Joe Jackson
Fairhaven School, Upper Marlboro, Maryland
www.fairhavenschool.com

gs,