Re: DSM: RE: Simple solution

smulryan@nwlink.com
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:20:07 -0800

> It is interesting though... I recently heard a comment that we are a social
> democracy and a political republic ("And to the republic for which it
> stands, one nation...").

We are definitely a Republic.

> I suppose in some ways Sudbury too has appointed
> people who take action in behalf of the community with no public vote taking
> place on every action.

This is true, although clerks normally carry our functions which
have been defined by the SM. Thus, the clerk is not making
decisions except within the provisions set by the SM. I see a
Sudbury school still as a participatory democracy - nothing less.

> The danger in a republic is when community people
> loose touch with their responsibility to influence leadership.

The danger arises when the community people can no longer
influence leadership. Look at our country now. There are a lot of
"community people" who have felt ignored by the government for
decades. It is now coming to a head (well, a small head). What
influences our country now is lobbyists, money, and the Corporate
back-pat.

> A person may
> loose interest, become ignorant, never be informed, feel helpless, or have a
> belief that there is a lack of communication, finances or time to be a
> contributor. When the individual is not responsible for direction and
> change, he must be a pawn of status quo. What is so simply is what is so. As
> Paul Harvey says, "There can be no democracy without responsibility". And
> thus are we destroying the ecology of the planet, and we elect liars as
> presidents. "Them" is not at fault, it is us and our status quo.

I disagree. We may have been the ones to allow the situation to
get here, but plenty of pour past President's recognized the
growing power of the Corporation (Lincoln, Wilson, Jefferson), and
yet did nothing to rectify the situation. We have let it get there
because we have placed too much faith on our leaders who have
sold us out.

> The students often seem to say they have little
> interest in or involvement with or understanding of the JC for most of the
> time they are a student there.

This is a strange thing to me. Although most students at Cascade
Valley have a difficult time understanding JC at first, they soon
become very savvy at its workings. Some even attempt to
manipulate it!

In Solidarity,
Seamus

Seamus Mulryan
smulryan@nwlink.com
We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end. It
has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood ... It has indeed been a
trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis
approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my
country. As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an
era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the
country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the
people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is
destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my
countrythan ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my
suspicions may prove groundless."
   -- Abraham Lincoln Nov. 21 1864 letter to
           Col. William F. Elkins