DSM: Re: Charter Schools

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Tue, 26 May 1998 02:14:47 -0400

Hi all;

I think we looked into the Charter School thing and a massive problem with
a Sudbury School being a Charter School is that it would be subject to
mandatory state standard testing. Another problem is that, in Maryland,
you must submit a list of educational goals and outcomes (which within
itself is not a problem) and that the MSBE must review whether the school
has met its goals for the year. It sounds like they're not talking about
abstract educational outcomes relating to social intelligence,
self-initiation, and the like. Beyond that, having the fundamental and
ever-looming control of the school would always be, your friendly
government educational agency. (For us, that's the Maryland State Board of
Education).

Joe Jackson
shoeless@erols.com