Re: DSM: People measurers

bud & barb brooks (barbb100@sunet.net)
Mon, 25 May 1998 15:56:24 -0400

> > > Statistical data is for OK for measuring new cars coming off an
assembly
> > > line but not for measuring people and I for one do whatever I can to
> > > discourage the practice.\

Teresa,

I think you made some excellent points, however, I interpreted Dale's
remark differently. I felt he was referring more to all the testing in
schools today and the competitive atmosphere that really lowers self esteem
when a kid doesn't test well or he's labeled, "learning disabled." When we
compare children and have an arbitrary set of standards that god knows who
set, how can that possibly be healthy? To me it is really absurd to say to
parents, "Your child is a really good learner" and then to the next parent,
"I'm sorry your child is learning disabled." That's such a disgusting word
to me, disabled _- so negative and insensitive.

I believe everyone can learn, NO ONE is disabled in a negative way, just
interested in different things. And your attention span depends upon
whether you are interested in the subject. Attention Deficit Disorder is
another ridiculous term! Everyone is attentive to something they enjoy and
are interested in.

Now statistical evidence and studies where no one is directly harmed by
labeling in a negative way is a neutral subject for me. If that turns your
lights on, so be it. If you feel better with statistics, that's great.
And yes, if we had more scientific studies on SVS, it might make a
difference but overall I think this philosophy is something felt in the
heart, not the head.

Barb Brooks