Re: Working for love

Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:53:27 -0700

Peter wrote:
<snip>

> Is it right to stand back and simply do nothing and let a child go out into
> the world ill-equipped to lead a decent, satisfying life? I think not.
<snip>

I know I could not do it Peter. Not for any amount of money. No
teacher worthy of the name could.

But there are no "teachers" at a progressive school. In fact one
particular Sudbury Valley staff member documented in some of their
literature about how difficult it was to stand back. As I remember her
article was titled, "The Art of doing Nothing All Day," or something
along those lines. I probably have a couple articles confused or
combined with another article written by a student. I just went to look
for it in my boxes and boxes of stuff in the back room and the attic
and... but can not find it. Probably put this classic article in a
special place so I would not lose it.

Peter, what is the standard "union" rate for standing "back and simply
do nothing and let a child go out into
the world ill-equipped to lead a decent, satisfying life?"

But then again, compared to the alternatives, especially the
alternatives in 1968, look around you Peter and see what most of the
graduates of the State Conditioning Centers are doing with their lives.
Not a pretty sight. While Mimsy Sadofsky and Daniel Greenberg wrote an
interesting book in 1992 called "Legacy of Trust, Life After the Sudbury
Valley School Experience." This very interesting book provides
documentation that the Sudbury Valley graduates do live decent,
satisfying lives.

It is my opinion there has never been enough educational choices. And
the progressive schools are a viable choice for some people some of the
time. All power to them.

But being a selfish greedy capitalist myself, let the buyer
beware. Dale

--
$  dale-reed@worldnet.att.net   Seattle, Washington U.S.A.  $