rural schools

sandra murphy (smurphy@win.bright.net)
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:21:16 -0500 (CDT)

At 16:33 4/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Sandra:
>Just a thought for you:
>I know of some alternative schools in remote places which became
>day/boarding to deal with the problem of lack of numbers.
>
>Jerry Mintz
>AERO
>HTTP://www.speakeasy.org/~aero

Jerry,

I would be interested in learning more about those schools and any other
experiences anyone has had / is having with rural schools. For minimum
number of students, I've heard of from 3 to 10, but I agree with Alan that
three sounds too small.

Re: boarding, I know that our liberal WI law regarding private school
requirements excludes boarding schools. What additional challenges does the
whole boarding scenario open up for students, staff, the school and parents?
I'm thinking on the one hand of purely pragmatic concerns: legal stuff,
financial concerns, logistics/ physical plant, state interference...?

On the other hand, how does the school "community" change when a school goes
from a day to a day/weekend/ full boarding school? Do those who board
develop a more close knit feeling because they become, in effect, extended
family? Does it create two subsets of the school community? Is this a good
thing? Not? Past discussions about full time (day) students versus part
time (day) students come to mind in that the part timers did not seem to
become "part" of the school to the extent that the full time students did.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Sandra