Re: Working for love.

Robin Martin (roses9@idt.net)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:48:33 -0700

At 09:58 PM 3/31/98 -0500, you wrote:

>The moral issue is less acute in a school which is new, but for SVS to pay
>nothing to first-year staff as a matter of principle is, as you put it,
>bizarre.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it when most of the
people on this List refer to "first-year staff," they're talking about VERY
first year, as in the first year that the school opened, not the first year
for teachers who are coming once the school has been established. (So, I
think your outrage was a bit misplaced, Naomi.)

My two cents worth: I think when people have a vision that is filled by
the deepest love in their soul, they can find a way to make it work, as
Sudbury & others have begun to prove. And that means finding a way to pay
staff...but the vision must comes first...that's how dreams are built.

Have enjoyed reading this thread & contemplating the multiple views &
issues involved here. As for myself, I still want to work for an SVS-type
school in the near future, but am working "for free" on another vision
first, which will hopefully lead to a steady income, so then I can work for
an SVS-type school, no matter what the pay!! When you have a dream, you
can always find a strategy to work. :))) I just have faith in
God/Universe that my simple living needs will be provided for...and it
really seems to work. Fancy that.

In love & wonder,
Robin

Robin Martin