Re: Working for love.

Shannon Mauldin (smauldin@javanet.com)
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:40:59 -0500

At 07:10 AM 3/29/98 -0800, Dale R. Reed wrote:
>Tim Kyng wrote:
><snip>=20
>> I'm interested in this as a moral question. Is it right, from anybody's
>> point of view, to ask staff to work below the Union rate?
><snip>
>
>Interesting post Tim. Some of which I agree with. Sorta.=20
>
>It is my opinion that unions are immoral by practice. Unions encourage
>their members to initiate, or at least threaten to initiate, violence
>against workers who are willing to work for a little less. Even the
>word strike is a violent word. Milling and circling around the entrance
>to the business being struck with angry threatening faces... smoky
>fires burning in burn barrels=85 attracting police and angry people with
>baseball bats and icepicks=85
=20
Several points:

1. Not all unions "encourage their members to initiate, or at least=
threaten
to initiate, violence against workers who are willing to work for a little
less."

2. The word 'strike' is not necessarly a violent word. Indeed, 'strikes'
are at times one of the most effective means for workers to advance
their interests--especially during those times when their interests are
ignored in favor of a given company's bottom-line. . . =20
=20
>Wages in a free market, the only moral economic system, are determined
>by peaceful negotiations between the employee and the employer. =20

This is mere assertion and is bordering on myth. . . =20

>And the employee has the hammer. Especially in the information age
>because during the time he is employed he is learning all the companies
>secrets thus increasing his value to future employers. =20

This may be true in certain fields. However, it is most certainly=20
not true for the majority of the work force. In point of fact, what
you really find behind the supposedly *booming Clintonian economy*
are part-timers (working just above minimum wage) with no benefits. =20
Instead of hiring full-time employees (who are legally entitled to benefits)
many companies and organizations simply hire many part-timers
who they are not required to provide benefits for.

"Tell me how you are searching, and I will tell you
what you are searching for." -Wittgenstein

Shannon Mauldin
Smauldin@javanet.com