Folk Schools

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 16:36:56 -0500

Robin,

I went to your web site and read your essay on the Highlander
School and found it fascinating. Excellent work!!

The lack of tests and age segregation seem to bear similarities
to the Sudbury model. However, I am curious; apparently the
"subject matter" that folk schools focus on (e.g. oppressive sit-
uations, social issues, celebrating culture and life) seem to be
moderately specific. This makes me think that students there must
not have quite the same degree of freedom of choice as they do
in a Sudbury School. If they do have the freedom to do what they
want and the staff is not "steering" or "leading them" into discus-
sions, how is the Highlander School able to predict that students
will focus on these particular types of issues?

Thanks.
Joe Jackson
shoeless@erols.com

----------
> From: Robin Martin <roses9@IDT.NET>
> To: discuss-sudbury-model@world.std.com
> Subject: Re: other learning communities...
> Date: Friday, January 23, 1998 12:53 PM
>
> At 10:52 PM 1/22/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >What are Folk Schools for adults? Are there such things for kids?
> >

> Folk schools are a movement tied to popular education (popular in the
sense
> that it is for, of, & by the people). The most well-known one in this
> country is Highlander Folk School, in Tennessee, started by Miles Horton,
> whose philosophies & approaches to education are quite similar to Paulo
> Friere (another well-known name in popular education).
>
> Folk/popular/emanicipatory education (whatever you want to call it!) is a
> radical paradigm shift in viewing what education and learning ought to be
> about. In a little sheet I have put out by the Folk Education
ASsociation