Fwd: Re: Gender Equality

Coby Smolens (cobys@webtv.net)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 22:25:47 -0800

--WebTV-Mail-836241397-4948

Regarding Mr. Smallman and the Puget Sound Community:

I wonder at the practice of having one person in a position to decide
things like who is passionate enough to rate a "passionate advocate" and
which person is chosen as the "passionate advocate"... What are the
criteria which go into making such decisions? How would one go about
finding a "true believer" for one's eager students?

And a more basic question: Why? It seems to me a person passionately
involved in the pursuit of a particular area of interest (rap,
snowboarding, animation -- whatever) will shortly have developed a
pretty good notion about which direction they would like to follow in
terms of mentors, all by themselves. I can see a staff person in a
similar situation, faced with a student's consuming passion and fierce
determination to make contact with a "master" in their chosen field,
being asked to facilitate such a meeting and doing their level best to
arrange it. Somehow, the scene Dale is describing below carries a hint
of benevolent patronization -- or have I got it wrong?

Felicitations!

Coby Smolens
MSS

--WebTV-Mail-836241397-4948