Re: Home Schooling

Sat, 25 Oct 1997 08:07:49 -0700

KleinCon@aol.com wrote:
<snip> I don't have any hard figures on the
> breakdown of these two groups. Do you? Does anyone else on this list? I
> also assume that the homeschoolers who are attracted to this listserv are
> more of the latter camp than the former. Perhaps we should treat their
> choice as a more friendly and learner-oriented one than we seem to be doing
> here.

The good folks at the Sudbury Valley schools keep reminding us to read
their books to determine where they are coming from. Good advice. I
for one have a very complete library of Sudbury Valley material and
subscribe to their very interesting newsletter.

But I also recommend that the Sudbury Valley folks might benefit from
reading some of the unschooling literature, especially the three
interesting books by Grace Llewellyn that describe what some
homeschoolers do with their days and young lives.
-------------
You know I have been thinking.

If being sequestered for five hours a day with the same group of
talkative children is a good learning and growing environment why not
six hours a day? How about six days a week? And so on until we
eventually reach my experiences of being isolated for a year at a time
buried under the ice in Antarctica. I spent 13 months wintering over on
a floating ice shelf in 1958 and another 15 months at 80 degrees south
on the polar plateau in 1960 with small groups of men. All of us got
very very tired of hearing the same stories over and over and over
again.

I admit these almost space-station like experiences were rich
Socializing environments for me but I do not recommend them for most
people most of the time. The years isolated from the normal world
obviously did not hurt me for you all know what a fine fellow I am,
being open to new ideas and all that but some of the men hated every
minute of the isolation from the much more rich and varied world that
they loved. I think some of the men did not benefit from the
experience. They wasted the year moaning and groaning about all the fun
they could be having with their families, hunting and fishing, being
able to chose their own friends

The millions of things that they loved to do but could not because of
the isolation. Dale

--
$  dale-reed@worldnet.att.net   Seattle, Washington U.S.A.  $