Re: so. calif deprived of alternatives

Denise Sharp (crafter@europa.com)
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:16:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Jensen Bumgardner wrote:

> I was wondering what everyone thought about the Montessori method and
> if you could briefly explain to me how it differs from the Sudbury model?
>
> sincerely, Janet

Hi, Janet!
I've just started investigating Sudbury Valley schools myself so I
don't know much, but I got an information packet from the model school in
my area that included a comparison of Sudbury with other methods of
education. I'll quote here what it says about Montessori FYI:

"There are some ways in which the Sudbury model is similar to the
Montessori approach. Children in both settings are allowed more freedom
to make decisions about what interests them and how to pace themselves
than in most other schools. Both models also hold the basic assumption
that children are naturally curious and don't need to be forced to learn.
"But Montessori children may choose only between the specific
options presented by the teacher, not from the full array of activities
which life itself presents. Montessori educators believe that all
children learn according to specific patterns and sequences. They base
classroom activities on the model's assumptions about what is
'developmentally appropriate' for each age group, and restrict access to
certain activities if earlier activities in the preplanned sequence have
not been completed. The Sudbury model makes no assumptions about how
individual children will learn at any age. There is no expectation that
one learn multiplication before negaative numbers or how to draw a circle
before a square. Interest is the only criterion for engaging in any
activity, and satisfaction the only evaluation of success."

Hope this helps.
--Denise

____ | Providing Internet Access | MAILTO:support@europa.com
__________ | and Online Media Advertising | VOICE:503.222.9508
___ ___ | to the Portland Metropolitan | FAX:503.796.9134
_ EUROPA _ | Area | DATA:503.222.4244