Re: Book List

Tue, 19 Aug 1997 17:20:35 -0700

Albert Lamb wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I am just a newbie myself and this may not be appropriate, I certainly
> don't want to throw my weight around, but I want to make the case for my
> book on your short list. Summerhill School by A. S. Neill, the new

Albert, It is on the long list but my flyers are printed and are being
handed out. The primary election is September 16. But maybe the next
time I run for election six years from now when I am 68. Or if by some
miracle I squeak through the primary election and have to print up some
more flyers. Anyway here is the latest long list. Dale

Booklist.doc

ALTERNATIVE/DEMOCRATIC EDUCATION AND HOMESCHOOLING/UNSCHOOLING READING
LIST

"The Almanac of Educational Choices, Private and Public Learning
Alternatives and Homeschooling," Jerry Mintz, 1995.

"Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools," Kozol, Jonathan,
1991, Crown Publishers, Inc.

"Escape from the Ivory Tower," David H. Lempert, 19??.

"Beyond Discipline, From Compliance to Community" Alfie Kohn,
Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, Alexandra
Virginia, 1996.

"Punished by Rewards," Alfie Kohn's, 19??.

"The Hundred Languages of Children, The Reggio Emilia Approach to Early
Childhood Education," Editors, Carolyn Edwards, Lella Gandini and George
Forman, 1993, Ablex Publishing Corporation.

"The Devils Advocate," Taylor Cladwell, 195?.

"Education For the Real World," 1977 by Creation-Life, Publishers,
P.O.Box 15666, San Diego, CA 92115.

Child Abuse in the Classroom," by Phyllis Schafly, Third Edition, 1985.

"Education for the Real World," Henry M. Morris, 19??

"Better Late Than Early," Raymond S. Moore and Dorothy N. Moore, 1975,
Reader's Digest Press.

"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress," Robert Heinlein, 19??.

"Savage Inequalities," Johnathon Kozol, 19??.

"Leading a Child to Independence," Paul and Jeannie McKean, (1960,1977)

"Inside American Education," Thomas Sowell, 19??.

"The Troika Incident," James Browne III, late 60's or early 70's.

"The School in Rose Valley," Grace Rotzel (1972?) about a school that
continues
to this day, nearing 70 years old!

"How Children Learn," John Holt, late 60's.

"The Underachieving School," John Holt, late 60's.

"I Learn From Children," Caroline Pratt, late 60's.

"1984," George Orwell, 19??

"Free Schools," Jonathan Kozol, 1972 by Bantam Books.

"On Teaching," ????? Kohl, 19??.

"The Soft Revolution," ?? Postman, 19??.

"Summerhill School, a New View of Childhood," Albert Lamb's editing of
A.S. Neill's writings, 1995 Published by St. Martin's Press.

"Summerhill, A New View of Childhood," A. S. Neil, 1960.

"My Life as a Traveling Homeschooler," Jenifer Goldman, 1991.

"Liberated Parents, Liberated Children, Your Guide to a Happier Family,"
by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, 1990.

"Talks to Parents and Teachers," Homer Lane, 1928.

"Separating School and State, How to Liberate America's Families,"
Sheldon Richman, 1994.

'The Myth of the A.D.D. Child, 50 ways to Improve Your Child's Behavior
and Attention Span Without Drugs, Labels, or Coercion," Thomas
Armstrong, Ph.D., 1995.

"School's Out, A Radical New Formula for the Revitalization of America's
Education System," Lewis J. Perelman, 1992.

"Dumbing Us Down, The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling," John
Taylor Gatto, 1992.

"The Teenage Liberation Handbook, how to quit school and get a real life
and education," Grace Llewellyn, 1991.

"Real Lives, eleven teenagers who don't go to school," Grace Llewellyn,
1993.

"Freedom Challenge, African American homeschoolers," Grace Llewellyn,
1996.

"Short Route to Chaos, Conscience, Community, and the Re-Constitution of
American Schooling," Stephen Arons, 1997.

"Free at Last, The Sudbury Valley School," Daniel Greenberg, Sudbury
Valley School Press, 1995.

"A New Look at Schools," Daniel Greenberg, Sudbury Valley School Press,
19??.

"The Connected Family, bridging the digital generation gap," Seymour
Papert, 1996.

"The Art of Education," Linda Dobson, 1997.

Saxon Book Company, 1320 West Lindsey, Norman Oklahoma 73069.

A Beka Book, Box 19100, Pensacola, FL 32523-9100, 1-800-874-2352, Fax:
1-800-874-3590

"Freedom and Beyond," John Holt, 1995.

"A Sense of Self, Listening to Homeschooled Adolescent Girls," Susannah
Sheffer, 1995.

"Education and Ecstasy," George B. Leonard, 1968.

"Government Nannies," Cathy Duffy, Noble Publishing Associates, 19??,
ISBN 1-56857-009-0.

"Education and the State," E. G. West. Institute of Economic Affairs,
1965; Liberty Fund, ISBN 0-86597-135-8.

"Compelling Belief : The Culture of American Schooling," Stephen Arons.
New York : McGraw-Hill, c1983; 1st paperback ed. Amherst : University of
Massachusetts Press, 1986, c1983, ISBN 0-87023-524-9.

"Education in a Free Society," Anne Husted Burleigh, editor.
Indianapolis, Liberty Fund [1973]. ISBN 0-913966-45-2.

"Disestablishment a Second Time: Genuine Pluralism for American
Schools," Rockne M. McCarthy, James W. Skillen, William A. Harper.
Grand Rapids, Mich. : Christian
University Press : Available from Eerdmans, c1982.

"Deschooling Society," Ivan Illich. 1st Harper Colophon ed. New York :
Harper Colophon, 1983, c1971, ISBN 0-06-091046-1.

"Inside American Education: The Decline, The Deception, The Dogmas,"
Thomas Sowell, 19??.

"Public Education and Indoctrination," The Foundation for Economic
Education.

"Why Johnny Can't Tell Right from Wrong," William Kilpatrick, New York
: Simon and Schuster, c1992, ISBN 0-671-75801-2.

"How Children Learn," 2nd Edition, John Holt. Rev. ed. New York, N.Y. :
Delta/Seymour Lawrence, 1989, c1983.

"How Children Fail," John Holt. Rev. ed. New York, N.Y. : Delacorte
Press/Seymour Lawrence, c1982.

"Instead of Education : Ways to Help People Do Things Better," John
Holt. 1st ed. New York : Dutton, c1976.

"Learning All the Time," John Holt, 19??.

"Teach Your Own : A Hopeful Path for Education," John Holt. New York,
N.Y. : Delacorte Press/Seymour Lawrence, c1981.

"The Underachieving School," John Holt. New York, Dell 1972, c1969.

"What Do I Do Monday?," John Holt. New York : Dell, 1974, c1970.

"Escape from Childhood," John Holt. [1st ed.]. New York, E. P. Dutton,
1974.

"The Lives of Children," George Dennison, 19??.

"The Way It Sposed to Be," James Herndon, S&S 1968 (hardcover)

"How to Survive in Your Native Land," James Herndon, S&S, 1971 Bantam,
1972.

"Conversations With God: Book 2," Neale Donald Walsch

"Culture against Man," Jules Henry, 19??.

"Compulsory Misseducation and the Community of Scholars," Paul Goodman,
19??.

"Growing up Absurd," Paul Goodman, 19??.

"Deschooling Society," Ivan Illich, 19??.

"The Scapegoat Generation," Mike Males

"The Power of Their Ideas," Deborah Meier, 19??.

"Changing Lives: Voices from a School that Works, " Jane Day, Deborah
Meier, Emanuel Pariser, and Maryanne Mott, 19??.

"Charter Schools," Joe Nathan, 19??.

"Playing the Future," Douglas Rushkoff. 19??.

Redesigning Education: A Guide for Developing Human Greatness," Lynn
Stoddard, 1992, Zephyr Press, Tucson, AZ.

Growing Greatness: Six Amazing Attitudes of Extraordinary Teachers and
Parents," Lynn Stoddard, 1995. Zephyr Press, Tucson, AZ.

Avrich, P. (1980) The Modern School Movement  Anarchism and Education
in
the United States, Princeton, New Jersey, Princeton University Press,
USA.

Baker, J. (1964) Children in Chancery, Hutchinson, London.

Bell, R. and Grand, N. (1974) A Mythology of British Education, Panther
Books Ltd., St. Albans, Herts.

Bowles, S. and Gitnis, H. (1976) Schooling in Capitalist America,
Routledge
and Kegan Paul, London and Henley.

Case, H. (1978) Loving Us: A New Way of Education, Stowmarket, Suffolk.

Chute, P. (1991) Tolstoy at Yasnaya Polyana, Cornelia and Michael Bessie
Books, London.

Croall, J. (1983) Neill of Summerhill  The Permanent Rebel, Ark
Paperbacks, London, Melbourne and Henley.

Goodman, P. (1962) Compulsory Miseducation, Penguin Books Ltd.,
Harmondsworth, Middlesex.

Hart, H. (1970) Summerhill, For and Against, Angus and Robertson, Hart
publishing Company Inc., USA.

Hemmings, R. (1972) Fifty Years of Freedom, George Allen and Unwin Ltd.,
London.

Holt, J. (1964) How Children Fail, Penguin Books Ltd., Harmondsworth,
Middlesex.

Holt, J. (1969) How Children Learn, Penguin Books Ltd., Harmondsworth,
Middlesex.

Holt. J. (1989) Learning All The Time, Penguin Books Ltd.,
Harmondsworth,
Middlesex.

Illich, I. (1971) Deschooling Society, Penguin Books Ltd.,
Harmondsworth,
Middlesex.

Jimack, P. (1983) Rousseau, Emile, Grant and Cutler, London.

Krishnamurti, J. (1955) Education and the Significance of Life, Victor
Gollancz Ltd.,

Kohl, H. (1967) 36 Children, Penguin Books Ltd., Harmondsworth,
Middlesex.

Kohl, H. (1970) The Open Classroom, Methuin and Co., London.

Mackenzie, R.F. (1963) A Question of Living, Common Humanity and Public
Education, Collins,
London.

Mackenzie, R.F. (1965) Escape from the Classroom, Collins, London.

Meighan, R. (1986) A Sociology of Educating, Holt, Rinehardt and
Winston,
2nd Edition, London.

Meighan, R. (1988) Flexi-Schooling, Education Now Publishing
Cop-operative
Ltd., Ticknall,
Derbyshire.

Miller, A. (1987) For Your Own Good  The Roots of Violence in
Child-Rearing, Virago, London.

Pedley, R. (1963) The Comprehensive School, Penguin Books Ltd.,
Harmondsworth, Middlesex.

Perry, L.R. (1967) Bertrand Russell, A.S. Neill, Homer Lane, W.H.
Kilpatrick  Four Progressive
Educators, Collier MacMillan, London.

Pluckrose, H. (1975) Open School, Open Society,
Even Brothers Ltd., London.

Postman, N. and Weingartner, C. (1969) Teaching as a Subversive
Activity,
Penguin Books Ltd.,
Harmondsworth, Middlesex.

Reich, W. (1948) Listen Little Man, Pelican Books Ltd., Harmondsworth,
Middlesex.

Reimer, E. (1971) School is Dead, Penguin books Ltd., Harmondsworth,
middlesex.

Ritter, P. and J. (1959) The Free Family, Victor Gollancz Ltd., London.

Russell, B. (1926) On Education, George Allen and Unwin Ltd., London.

Skidelsky, R. (1969) English Progressive Schools, Penguin Books Ltd.,
Harmondsworth, Middlesex.

Snitzer, H. (1963) Living at Summerhill, Collier Books, New York, USA.

Walford, G. (1991) Doing Educational Research, Routledge, London and New
York.

Wills, W.D. (1971) Spare the Child: The Story of an Experimental
Approved
School, Penguin Books Ltd.,
Harmondsworth, Middlesex.

Wilson J. (1972) Philosophy and Educational Research, NFER, Slough,
Berks.

Wright, N. (1989) Free School  The White Lion Experience, Libertarian
Education, London.

Assessing Radical Education, Open University Press, Milton Keynes.

Yeo, E. (1971) The Rise and Fall of Primary Education, The Campaign for
Real Education, York.

URL's of book lists

http://pages.prodigy.com/School_is_dead/bibliographies.html for a book
list on Karl M. Bunday 's School is Dead web site.

--
$  dale-reed@worldnet.att.net   Seattle, Washington U.S.A.  $