Re: the right to pursue excellence

Deborah Bartle (dbartle@pacbell.net)
Sat, 03 May 1997 08:44:23 -0700

Cathy Pauline Lachapelle wrote:
> And I would not say that money is "worse than wasted". Think of all the
> kids who would have an empty house to stay in, or maybe they'd roam
> gang-filled streets. Not everyone has a better option when poor kids
> have no options at all.
> The civil rights leaders of the 50's and 60's were not fighting for
> nothing when they fought for desegregation as a way to get decent schools
> for their children.

I hope I do not appear to be arrogant, but I would like to make a book
recommendation. First, "The Vision of the Anointed" by Thomas Sowell &
another, "The Tragedy Of American Compassion". I firmly hold that more
of the same ($$$ for failed liberal social programs) is not the answer
and more the problem.

> And maybe part of the solution (quite likely, I think) is that schools
> must become NOT mandatory once more.

I think many parents will have a hard time with that one because I do
believe that very often school is used as childsitting, unfortunatly.

Deborah, just sharing freely of my opinions. My family (parents & sisters)
won't even listen to me anymore. I do sometimes recognize when to
keep quiet, but not always. I do however, respond to a tap on the
shoulder.

Note: These are not opinions of Sudbury. As I understand it,
Sudbury strives to remain apolitcal.