Re: the right to purse excellence

Deborah Bartle (dbartle@pacbell.net)
Thu, 01 May 1997 19:20:58 -0700

> Deborah wrote:
> I'd vote government out of the education business

> Alan asks:
> Who then pays for the schooling of a poor kid in downtown DC or rural West
> Virginia?
You are assuming that the quality of the education (poor) children are
receiving is worth the money that the government is spending and that
no schooling would leave multitudes (of poor) not knowing what to think.
Real education is not a very expensive venture. Real knowledge can be
obtained quite cheaply.

> The "government" is nothing more (nor less) than the collective
> will of the individual people of a country.
I recall learning that the government force children out of their
parents homes to go be 'educated' and that the illitercy rates
have never again been as high as they were prior to forced schooling.

Today, we have a majority who have been educated to do as they are
instructed and they comply by sending their babies to school because
that is what their parents did and what everyone else does and since
it was good enough for them it is good enough for their kids.

> You will notice that in my plan,
> the "government" has no role in setting policy or procedures at any
> school...just in being the vehicle for the society at large to express its
> belief in the necessity of the universality of being educated by funding the
> schools.
I wish that I could believe this would be a real possibility.

> The individual parents (and kids) would be able to vote with their
> feet for the best ones.
That IS what is necessary. Only, I agree with Scott, that there will
not be a real choice because all schools will be required to meet
minimum government standards to qualify.

Deborah

--
mailto:dbartle@pacbell.net