Re: the right to purse excellence

Charles (quester@eskimo.com)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 22:35:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 1 May 1997 KleinCon@aol.com wrote:

> Anyway, my idea is this, figure out the dollar figure that the state spends
> per pupil on education. Weight it for special needs kids. Give each child a
> voucher for the amount they are due. This voucher would then be good for one
> education at any school.
^^^ ^^^^^^
I take it you mean `at any school willing to accept the voucher as full
tuition.'

> rich couldn't just use the voucher to make their tuitions lower at fancy
> schools that charge way more. They could still have these schools, they just
> couldn't participate in the voucher plan.

And they wouldn't. So what schools would? Sudburys? How many do you
suppose there would be? And how many parents do you think would be
willing to send their children to a Sudbury?

No doubt there would be some sterling exceptions, but most
voucher-supported schoolhouses would be either second-rate
institutions like the white-flight storefronts or (no doubt
proponderantly) church-based indoctrination centers.

**
- Charles -