Re: the right to purse excellence

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 17:17:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Deborah Bartle wrote:

> I come to the list today with a question, possibly a FAQ, that I need to
> have a rebuttal to. I recently shared the fact I am preparing to start
> a new school, with my neighbor. He is a career public school administrator/
> educator. He generally seems tolerant and supportive towards our unschooling
> since his own daughter is homeschooling his seven grandchildren. His casual
> response to my news was, "it's a real shame that the top 15% cream of the
> crop students are not in public school anymore to be role models for the
> unfortunate who must be there and are in most need of positive influence".
> (just a note: he works in a very rough & tough district).

Well... I'd say the following:

1: A person can't serve very well as a role model when s/he is stuck
behind a desk and forbidden to communicate with other kids, or to engage
in those individual activities which would interest other kids.
2: You may have causality reversed. It may not be that the 'cream of
the crop' students are choosing to leave, but that those who leave develop
real independant interests and thereby _become_ the 'cream of the crop'
students.
3: If you think your kid would be better off in the same school as my
kid, please consider allowing your child to enroll in our school!

> Deborah
> --
> mailto:dbartle@pacbell.net

Take care,