Staff Freedom

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 13:41:39 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Dale R. Reed wrote:

> I am sure that at a SVS school if a student wants the staff to follow a
> curriculum the staff would oblige. For example if the majority or even
> one student wants an Algebra I class using a Saxon text book I would
> expect that is what will happen. I know this has happened in the past
> for I have read about it in the SVS literature.

I feel that the atmosphere of freedom and responsibility at the school
means _nothing_ if it applies only to the clients (students) and _not_ to
the employees (staff).

As a staff member, if someone wants my help with something, I feel that I
have the right to set out the terms under which I'll give the help. If I
happen to think that the particular curricula / text the student suggests
would be a waste of time to use, I feel perfectly free to tell the
student that _I_ wont use that particular book.

I have no right, of course, to tell the student what books or material
s/he can use on his/her own time... But I have the right to say what
material _I_ want to use or refuse to use when the student is making use
of _my_ time.

You're basic notion is correct... Staff are generally willing to follow a
curricula or book when requested. However, neither the staff nor the
student will follow _any_ curricula/book without thought about the
_content_ of the particular curricula/book.

> Of course its possible that some of you do not consider a textbook a
> curriculum. Maybe I do not know what you are talking about. Wouldn't
> be the first time. Dale

Take Care,

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdavid@tiac.net