Re: A meeting on diversity in svs-model schools

Alan Klein (AlanKlein@gnn.com)
Thu, 05 Sep 1996 00:09:22

Paul wrote:

>Any implication that there is something wrong here regarding diversity in
> our
>school which needs to be fixed, strikes me as distinctly old paradigm. And
>who says balance is desirable? In some parts (not all), the discussion
> about
>how to remedy the situation reminds me of a debate between intelligent and
>well-intentioned adults designing an age appropriate curriculum to supply
>children with what they lack. Think about it.

I'm not clear where the "old paradigm" comes in here. Also, please say more
about the parallel you see between the discussion we've been having re
diversity and the "debate..." you mention. I don't see the connection and I
certainly agree with your implied disparagement of the latter.

>It seems clear to me that we want to encourage DIVERSITY WITHOUT
>DIFFERENTIATION in our school. (Could that be a bumper sticker?)...

> I talk to strangers, my world is enriched by the conversation, and I
> think,
>people who wouldn't previously give me the time of day start to show up
>around me. Next thing you know, they want to enroll in the school.

I loved this whole section! I think you stated the case beautifully! We're
not talking about some kind of artificial social engineering, just good,
old-fashioned individual responsibility.

>PS: Our enrollment for the fall has DOUBLED since we came back from the
>conference and the procrastinators keep rolling in. We open on the ninth.

Wow! Congratulations!

Alan Klein ... AlanKlein@gnn.com
Visit the Chesapeake Bay Organization Development Network Home Page at:
http://www.cris.com/~Cbodn